You can do it too! We did this to reduce their power consumption
With the combined efforts of the government and the public, overhead costs can be kept at an acceptable level!
We welcome that the voice of the people was heard! With the listed steps, we reduce our monthly consumption from 500 to 400 kWh. Even though the amount of the bill will still increase from 19,000 (500 kWh at the old price) to 21,000 (400 kWh at the new price), this is already an acceptable price increase.
️Some of the listed steps were taken before the announcement, and some after the announcement.
- Our washing machine broke a month ago, we bought a new one that consumes 40% less electricity than the old machine
- We have two refrigerators, a 10-year-old one in the house (201 kWh/year) and a 20-year-old one in the summer kitchen. The annual consumption of the 20-year-old refrigerator is 398 kWh, we just sold it, the 10-year-old indoor refrigerator went to the summer kitchen, we bought a new, bigger, but more energy-saving refrigerator (160 kWh/year) for the house, thus reducing our "refrigerator" consumption on an annual basis with 238 kWh
- We turned off indispensable technical items. E.g. luminous radio clock, one of the WIFI signal amplifiers, network data storage, etc.
- We switched off the PC we were using, and connected a laptop to the monitor instead, which also results in significant savings, since a laptop consumes a third as much as a PC.
- Machines now turn off the monitor after 5 minutes of inactivity instead of 10 minutes and go to sleep after 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
- We have a 40-liter electric boiler that preheated the water to 40 degrees, and this water went on to the gas boiler. Since our gas consumption is almost a third of the "average" (an average of 55 cubic meters/month), we will eliminate the pre-heating, more gas will be consumed and less electricity, the consumption here will be diverted to gas, which will still be within the "frame"
- We use the air conditioner only on very hot days, only before going to bed, when the temperature in the house exceeds 26 degrees. The children cannot sleep in such heat, so we close the windows, cool the house, and then when they are asleep, we open the windows. This happens around 8-9 p.m., when the temperature outside is already bearable.
- All the lighting fixtures in the house have been LED until now, where possible, we replaced them with lower power
- The dishwasher is operated at a lower temperature.
- We use gas-heated hot water for cooking, so less electricity is consumed.
- We planned to buy a dryer, but we are neglecting it now. It remains to be seen.
- We discussed with the children that they should take better care of order and their clothes, so that we vacuum and wash less.
- Most of the roads were covered with agro fabric. The advantage of this is that weeds do not grow, the ground does not dry out as quickly, and there is no need to weed and/or mow the grass.
- Wherever possible, we installed drip irrigation instead of the previous sprinkler irrigation, which reduced the loss, the water does not evaporate as much, the pump runs for less time
- We shade the house wherever we can: e.g. We raised the hedge to 2.5 meters on the west side, we shade it with a sun sail on the south side, we close the blinds everywhere the sun shines, so the house heats up less, etc.
- We try to shade the garden with trees, we planted not only low plants, but also tall trees, which can significantly reduce evaporation.
- We reduced the grassy area, created areas with mulch, gravel, and geotextile wherever possible, which also holds back water.
- We replaced the electric lawnmower with a gasoline one
- For smaller jobs, we use manual hedge trimmers instead of hedge trimmers
- We put a 95% plastic net on the fence, it doesn't fall like reeds, it reduces the wind, provides shade, and also contributes to the fact that the ground doesn't dry out so much. (Furthermore, the neighbor's dog will no longer urinate!)
- We also planted ground cover plants, with the exception of the vegetable garden, we use some sort of permanent ground cover solution everywhere. And temporary in the vegetable garden (e.g. cut grass is excellent for mulching)
- It's not raining, the only advantage of this is that you don't have to wash the car as often.
- When it rains, the water that flows from the roof of the house is not led into the sewer, but is led away from the house and drained inside the plot. Water is a great treasure, don't waste it! Perforated 100 drain pipes buried 30-50 cm deep are excellent for this.
️You can do it too! It's your turn! Pass it on!
In our opinion, this "cancellation" is acceptable and is still a long way from heating and lighting with candles. If you also have good ideas for saving, write to us. The suggestions will be collected and shared in another post. [email protected]
PS: We would like to say to the people who are dependent on the current system and who make a living for money because of our article criticizing the original plan for the overhead increase, that we can at least have our own opinion, but you can't! Criticizing one of the thousands of supported measures does not make someone a libsist, but it does make him discredited if he is known to "work" for money, and whatever the government does or plans, it accepts without thinking, even if the planned measure affects hundreds of thousands of families would ruin it. If the partial cancellation of the overhead reduction had been implemented according to the original plans, then this would have happened. Fortunately, the government heard the concerns and reconsidered the whole thing. The final version is also acceptable to us, so this government measure has also been supported :) Good luck to you, and further good "business" :)